Namastè

I honor the place in you
in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you
which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
I honor the place in you where,
if you are in that place in you,
and I am in that place in me,
there is only one of us.

Namastè

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Evidently, Heaven tastes like this...



After spending the first few minutes of my morning sucking the crumbs out of the wrapper, it appears to me that I should have left them in the oven longer. They turned out to be a cross between red velvet cake and chocolate molten cake --or what I like to call "a little piece of heaven." I think they make movies about food like this.

Recipe:
1 box Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix
1/3 cup of safflower oil
1 1/4 cup water
3 tbsp of milled flax seed
+ an additional 9tbsp of water
1 insulin shot

Frosting
1 container tofutti better than cream cheese
smart balance light (the vegan one)
confectioners sugar to taste

Preheat oven to 350. To prepare the egg substitute, combine the flax & 9 tbsp of water and let sit until flax soaks a bit of the water in. But don't worry if it all doesn't look like oatmeal; just go on ahead and follow the rest of the directions on the Duncan Hines box. Whip with a fork and then a flat spatula until you get a nice silky smooth consistency.

Whip tofutti & smart balance with a fork until light & fluffy. Add confectioner's sugar slowly until you get the amount of sweetness you desire. I went for an amount that was light but rich.


The topper was made from crushed ginger bread graham crackers that I had left over from Christmas.

I also do this thing where I apply a thin layer of frosting over the cupcakes and set them back in the oven just long enough for the frosting to sink into the cake. Then I go back over it with the rest of the frosting and add a garnish.

It gives the cupcakes less of that commercial quality but makes them appear to be more rustic. And the flavor of the butter cream icing saturates the cupcake more without overwhelming the dish.

These seem to be a great way to beat the winter blues. The safflower & flax act as serotonin boosters. They were such a hit this term that for a couple of days I was getting stalked by my friends for my "magic cupcake recipe." I'm considering featuring them in a bake sale to raise money for a summer study abroad trip.

“If you take the game of life seriously, if you take your nervous system seriously, if you take your sense organs seriously, if you take the energy process seriously, you must turn on, tune in, and drop out” ~Timothy Leary


For more information about serotonin in food, click here:

No comments: