Namastè

I honor the place in you
in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you
which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
I honor the place in you where,
if you are in that place in you,
and I am in that place in me,
there is only one of us.

Namastè

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Not the brightest crayon in the box...

Beauty obviously doesn't equal brains as we can see with Beyonce's recent black face blunder....

Beyonce's face 'voluntarily darkened' for controversial shoot
A French magazine says Beyonce posed this way to "return to her African roots"

Feb 24, 2011
Editors of a French fashion magazine have defended a controversial photoshoot featuring Beyonce in dark make-up, insisting the singer's face was "voluntarily darkened" for the spread.

Here's a video from the shoot:



According to my unsolicited opinion on fb:
"i tried to think of what the benefits are of her doing this would be and frankly i couldn't think of any. in fact the only justification i could think of for not thinking about it more is that i rationalized that it was a stupid thing to get all bent out of shape over. but from a cultural identity standpoint, i do see this as kind of a red flag. a) if this is how she's opting to get back to her roots, then i kind of get the feeling that she lacks the understanding of what that means and the constructive ways to do that, which makes me want to revoke her role model card. b) it makes me think that perhaps she needs to be more immersed with african culture and educated about the cultural identity issues within the black community on a less superficial level because frankly, that move stuck me as something that you would expect from a disconnected debutante. and perhaps it's simply an error of privilege for her not to recognize why this was innappropriate. but c) i don't think i actually care. i just don't want her teaching young girls to make choices like this."


this may explain how poor education or "miseducation" disseminates into youth culture.



But, on a positive note, I did find a few bright young stars who I thought represented what a better African American role model should be:

No comments: